Dr Nettle’s Surgical & Non-Surgical Tops & Flops for 2018!
Do you ever get overwhelmed and confused by the myriad of procedures on offer? There are now so many surgical and non-surgical procedures that can be done, but the real question is SHOULD they be done? Just because a procedure makes sense in theory and in labs shows promise, doesn’t mean that it translates into real results in real people, despite the hype and marketing. You need to be informed.
Dr Nettle hopes that this yearly update will help you navigate the minefield of what works and what doesn’t.
- Lip Lift Surgery – This surgery is routinely performed in the office without a general anaesthetic. Although quite subtle Lip Lift surgery can very remarkably transform and rejuvenate the face. Lip Lift has the added benefit of modestly increasing the fullness of the upper lip.
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty) – Upper eyelid surgery can almost always be done in the office without a general anaesthetic. In the majority of lower eyelid cases the best result is obtained with surgery performed in hospital, due to the complexity of lower eyelid surgery. Lower eyelid surgery is frequently combined with fat transfer injections (from your own fat) to the lower lid groove.
- Facelift including neck lift – This purely and simply produces the best and most reliable long term facial rejuvenation results- without looking facelifted.
- Hairline Lowering Surgery/Forehead Reduction – Produces remarkable improvements in reducing the size of the forehead, harmonising and rejuvenating the face, with quick recovery.
- Wrinkle relaxing injections (we are not legally allowed to mention the brand names). Twin studies have repeatedly shown that in identical twins, even without recent treatment, the twin that has used these injections over the years always looks younger than the twin who hasn’t.
- Bio-identical Fillers – (we are not legally allowed to mention the brand names). There has been a rapid take-up of bio-identical fillers. These are in-office filler injections whose structure and chemical makeup is based on substances occurring naturally in the skin. This allows greater longevity and essentially no allergic reactions, as the body is not fighting these fillers.
- BBL (Broad Band Light) – The Sciton Laser we use for BBL at Dr Warwick Nettle remains the Gold Standard for improving skin texture, tone and quality. Due to a massive amount of sun exposure (incidental and planned) most Australians benefit from an annual course of BBL laser skin treatments to keep the freckles, pigmentation and superficial capillaries at bay. Recent studies have also shown long-term skin rejuvenation benefits in those undergoing a yearly BBL course.
- Kybella in the neck – Kybella is a series of injections used to reduce excess fat in fatty necks. It is commonly painful, expensive and requires multiple injections (with downtime) often producing unsatisfactory and underwhelming results. Dr Nettle prefers liposuction of the neck which can be performed in the office without general anaesthetic or CoolMini (CoolSculpting – fat freezing of the neck).
- Thread lifts – Dr Nettle has lost count of the number of threads he has removed in patients undergoing facelift surgery after thread lifts. A common sequence is threadlift, disappointment or problems, then facelift to remove the threads and to achieve good results.It is often simpler to have a surgical minilift with vastly superior results, without all the problems that can occur with threads.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma Injections) – While theoretically it makes a lot of sense to inject growth factors derived from your own blood, this procedure suffers from the fact that results cannot be seen using PRP alone. PRP is often combined with other fillers and fat transfer to produce results, but how can you tell if the improvements in these situations are from the filler or the PRP, as PRP injections on their own do not seem to do anything that can be seen or photographically documented?
Contact our office to book in for a consultation with Dr Nettle or Dr Campion our Cosmetic Physician on (02) 9387 3900 or to book in for a free consultation with our Dermal Therapist for all your non-surgical skins solutions.